Senior Buildup is a partnership between Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools and Habitat for Humanity. The goal is to provide meaningful opportunities for CMS students to develop skills and connect with the community while supporting affordable housing with Habitat for Humanity.
Habitat Charlotte will provide:
- Construction oversight and supervision
- Tools and safety equipment for all students
- Confirmation that all students have completed necessary waiver/liability forms
- Online sign-up system to schedule volunteers for all build days
Habitat Charlotte will provide competitive summer internship opportunities where students will be engaged in:
- Education on the need for affordable housing in the community
- Construction activities
- Exposure to key administrative areas including family services, accounting and development
- Rotation through ReStore operations
- Exposure to Habitat Charlotte board and governance activities
The Impact of Homeownership
Homeownership stabilizes families and helps prepare children for success.
When compared to children of renters, children of homeowners are* . . .
- 25% more likely to graduate from high school
- 100% more likely to obtain post-secondary education
- 116% more likely to graduate from college
Habitat homeowners contribute to the community:
- Paid more than $9 million in property taxes since 1983
- Stabilize neighborhoods and help prevent homelessness
*Source: Real Estate Economics--Does Homeownership Affect Child Outcomes? (Haurin, Parcel, Haurin 2003)